Saturday 28 April 2012

Buttermilk Scones

Taste.com.au's Buttermilk Scones

I'm a massive fan of scones!! I love them and covering them with jam and cream is amazing!

I used to work with a lady named Janine who made the greatest lemonade  scones I've ever tasted and she used to make them into these great big things that had people coming for miles around. It was funny to see how disappointed people would get when they discovered that she only worked on the weekends and her scones weren't available on other days ;-) She and I got along and she knew my love of them so would always throw the last little bits of batter together to make a smaller scone and would save it for me :-) I loved these days! (for any foreign visitors lemonade does not refer to the yummy lemon and sugar drink often made in the US, it refers to the clear fizzy soda, lemonade)

I also remember when I was very young and my Mum was working nights in a restaurant and whenever we visited her work we'd always get scones with jam and cream and would all sit together (mum, my brother and sister) and eat them. I'm sure this was just a ploy to keep us quiet but it is one of my earliest food memories :-)

So you'd think I would make these every week the way I'm talking but no, as easy as they are, they aren't something I've made that often in the past and only really ever ate them when available outside my home. Then about two year ago I was given a recipe for lemonade scones and my love affair was rekindled! Yet this time I became the baker. I've perfected the lemonade scone recipe however I always need to go buy the ingredients to make them as I don't keep them around regularly. Then one day I had a massive craving for scones but had no lemonade. I did however, due to my baking endeavors, have buttermilk! So a quick search on my go to site http://www.taste.com.au/ and I discovered buttermilk scones!

This recipe has been a favourite ever since, though now I am torn.......... Lemonade or Buttermilk - Buttermilk or Lemonade? I cannot make up my mind and decided I would write a blog on each to compare and contrast and give me a chance to eat a lot of scones!! However since there's only two of us living here making two batches of scones in one day is a liiiiiittle extreme so I'm going to do it one at a time. So here's my buttermilk scones!

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/19423/buttermilk+scones

 Sift the flour and add the sugar.

 Weigh and soften the butter - my measurement was slightly over but oh well :-P

Add the butter and rub in with your fingers until mixture 'resembles fine breadcrumbs'. I've never actually understood this instructions as flour and butter has never to me resembled fine breadcrumbs but I say just make sure there's no lumps of butter and it's all combined.

Next make a well, pour in buttermilk and stir to combine :-)

Now for the REALLY messy part! Knead dough on a floured surface and cut into any size you like and place in a square baking tray.

 It's oven time!!

And 15 - 17 mins it is!!

 I take this time to clean up...... Dishes!! Gaaahhh!

 All done in record time, though with a bit of a mess on the floor! I am not the most skilled at keeping all the water in the sink buuuuut, we can't all be perfect :-P

 And it's cream whipping time! Out comes the trusty Kenwood tri blade with the whisk attachment.

 And for easy cleaning I pop off the attachment and give it a quick wash and away the Kenwood goes!

 My most favourite part, the non slip base on the beaker comes off and fits on as a perfect sized lid.

 Mmmmmmm, fresh from the oven!

 I couldn't wait so I popped some out and served them with the whipped cream and a yummy blood plum jam I bought in Cobram late last year.

You can't see but there was steam coming off them at this stage. I could barely wait to eat them!!!


Mmmm, so I was eating my last scone when I remembered I should probably grab a snap of one smothered with toppings! Mmm, I would eat another right now if I wasn't totally full from the first round :-)





They are so fluffy and moist and I pull them out before they all brown so they don't get too crispy as a prefer them soft! They really are yum and with the sugar are just subtly sweet unto themselves. They are great and very easy, so if you have the stuff in the fridge and the cupboard give them a go and let me know what you think! As I said I'm torn........

Happy cooking xxoo
Roxanne

No comments:

Post a Comment