Saturday 9 June 2012

The Block 2012 Week 4

Oh my I am getting sooo behind! And this week I have no excuses, I've just been a tad lazy, especially since I had planned to be caught up by this week.... :-P

Oh well, I'll get there soon. So Week 4 Bathroom Week. I scary week really as sometimes a bathroom can make or break a house........ Also a slightly controversial week when Dan and Dani broke the rules massively and used power tools all night long. Even though they left the property each time it was very obvious and quite frustrating and disturbing to the other contestants, especially since the ability to use power tools on a Saturday can be removed if there are enough complaints!! Some have questioned why they didn't use just an manual tile cutter? I have since learned that since they were slate tiles they are too thick and strong to cut without a power tool. Also people have asked why they didn't focus on cutting the tiles earlier and then work all night to lay them (ie me) but I guess that may have been too confusing or something, so not floated as an option..... Either way the producers chose to penalize them by fining them $1000. A massive blow as money is getting rather tight and they spent about $5000 on the bath alone (WTF???) but they were still allowed to compete for the week. I was slightly annoyed at them on behalf of the other contestants and was also a little pissy because I loved their bathroom but did not want them to win out of principle. However this is just a TV show, it's a competition and these are REAL people so vilifying and attacking them (as many did) was completely ridiculous and out of hand. The producers chose a course of action and this occurred around 10 weeks ago, so is old news to the people on the block. So lets move on and discuss the rooms :-)

Dan and Dani's Bathroom/Laundry

So as I admitted earlier I loved this room. The tile work, both the hand made subway tiles and the large slate worked perfectly. The big bath and funky lighting. I like the floating toilet but would have liked the cistern to be hidden in the wall rather than sticking out, although I did like the extra shelf it creates. The walk in shower/wet room was perfection and I thought they had enough space in here for the laundry even if the judges didn't. The wooden accessories were a lovely touch and really softened the stark colour palette and the steps make the bath a bit more family friendly.

My Vote 9/10
To me this bathroom/laundry was fantastic. Not much surface space, as I like to have a place for all my toiletries etc but all in all a lovely feel. As this couple loves, it's extremely modern, my only concern here is how quickly this room will date and need updating.... Also this couple spent WAY too much money in here, to me this look could have been achieved on a tighter budget if they'd tried a little harder.

Mike and Andrew's Bathroom

There was A LOT going on in this room..... The amazing mirrored cupboards brought so much storage space they're brilliant, the intense lights in between each door was a bit much though. Those would be great around one main mirror not a series along the wall. the shower and bath were spacious and lovely but the space could have been used a bit better....... I would have maybe only had the one glass wall on the shower along the front and would have left the bath side open, creating a wet room feel. I like their surfaces and wall and floor finishes however it seems that every surface is either reflective or shiny and all in very pale colours.... It's a little assaulting on the eyes.

My vote 7.5/10
I agree that they tried a little too hard in the styling department and the red was all wrong. I would have gone a taupe or brown and a green for the styling as it would have softened the look of the space rather than kicking it up like the red did. I love how much storage space they have and the bench space and I really like the toilet on the mirrored wall, it's spunky and elegant. And of course as always the boys finishes are perfection.

Brad and Lara's Bathroom

The winning room ;-) Ok, I'm going to say it.... The white was the right choice here. With the dark flooring and dark accessories it worked. The raised wet room was what won it for me. It's sleek and there are clean lines between the areas. Also buttloads or bench space Yay!! The shelf was a clever little spur of the moment choice from Lara. I actually really liked their choice of door (period look of course).

My Vote 9/10
Again, their styling let them down. The checked towels were UGLY and the robes are just too "residential" for this market. This house has to be magazine spread/pinterest styled and robes are not there. The hooks are great but leaving them blank would have been better. I love their lighting and the big mirror.

Sophie and Dale's Bathroom/Laundry

This room was quite modern looking for this couple and I liked it, yet it still has their style in there. I do not think putting the laundry in here was a good idea at all.The room is small enough as it is without that huge cupboard and having the shower in the bath is fine on an average height bath but imagine your Nanna trying to get into that shower..... Yes the stool is there but I don't trust that sort of thing on a tiled floor. The mirrored wall does open the space, but just not enough to save the space. This room has become more a glorified ensuite than a main bathroom.

My Vote 7/10
I love the tiles on the floor and the space on and in the cabinet but the sink is a touch impractical for everyday uses like shaving and brushing your teeth. The finishes were great and the pieces good quality but it just doesn't quite do it for me.

Now I have to choose a bathroom I would have done here and believe me I'm struggling. There are just sooooooo many options! Off to pinterest I go... xxoo
Roxanne

No comments:

Post a Comment